1. Remember he is still living.
2. Remember you, too, will die.
3. Try not to rush either.
4. Kiss his lips full of medicine.
Rub his back full of knots.
5. Remember he wants you alive;
don’t be foolish.
6. Realize you will both become statistics.
7. Remember the way his face looked
in the movie he made. Remember
it in the one you are now making.
8. Tell him he can play any role.
9. Inscribe in memory
the sound of his voice, feel of
his hands on your chest, waist,
hips. The trace of his finger across your
lips, yours in the recess
of his ass.
10. Keep rum and candy
nearby. They keep the gods happy.
11. Tell him you will visit
in the next life, and this island
will again be filled
12. In the canoe of our own
making, we travel upstream.
Fill the hollow of his hull.
Husk the corn from his frame.
13. Cacique dance.
Bless his limbs with flight